Monday 4 March 2019

Assemblage

Assemblage is a list of objects found nestled into the nook and crannies in a garden wall in Calstock, Cornwall.

Naturally, seeing a collection of objects like this, I wanted to make a list of them!

I took photographs of each object so that I could make a written list at home. I thought for quite a while about the design and layout of the book, before settling on the short landscape layout. I chose to handwrite the list as a continuation of my interest in repetitive writing tasks.

My next train of thoughts surrounded the ever present use of plastic used in the making of the majority of the objects, especially children's toys. I decided to use bight coloured card for the cover, representing the colours of many of the toys, but also to use recycled card and paper in the books. I have drawn attention to environmental concerns over use/reuse and recycling of plastic in a label attached to each book.

So far I have made two books, each with a different binding.


Assemblage 1 2019
210 x 74mm
Ink on 270gsm Colorset recycled card


Assemblage 2 2019
210 x 74mm
Ink on 270gsm Colorset recycled card


Inside: Handwritten list
Ink on 120gsm Colorset recycled paper


Label


No comments:

Post a Comment