Sunday 27 January 2019

Journeys End

Another concertina book!

The idea for a piece of work based on the shipping forecast has been brewing in my mind for a few years! Sometimes the actual format and design takes a while to work out and I was keen to make sure that I didn't go down a route that was too obvious, with waves and shades of blue.

I wrote a short descriptive piece about my memories of listening to the shipping forecast as a child. Then I spent quite a long time figuring out the book design! 

I decided to work on a large drawing using a linear process that when repeated, offers an image of gradient lines. I kept this to my usual black ink on white paper. I washed the reverse of the paper with a blue/grey ink and then, using another favoured process, I repeatedly wrote out the shipping forecast, creating undulating pencil lines of text over the wash.

Finally, I cut up the drawing to make 12 books and glued strips of the text onto the concertina folded books.


Finished drawing of cover
A1 270g paper



Journeys End 2019
5 x 7.8cm



Inside Journeys End 2019
5 x 7.8cm, inkjet on newsprint


No comments:

Post a Comment