Monday 19 March 2018

Shadow Locations

I was inspired by discussions on twitter (@ClareRogersArt)about remembered and imagined places and their overlap in my memory. I began to think about two places that I am certain I have visited, but have been unable to locate when revisiting.

From these thoughts, I wrote a short description of each place, forming the basis for two hand-made books: Shadow Locations I and II.

I had thought about making a concertina book for a while, and this was an opportunity to make my first.

Since viewing an exhibition of work by graphic designer Ivan Chermayeff, I have grown increasingly interested in collage. Similar to my interest in printmaking, collage compliments my hand-made book work.


Shadow Locations I 2018

Concertina book 7.5 x 7.5 x 29.7cm
Inkjet printed on newsprint with assorted collage papers.



Shadow Locations II

A cottage, low and surrounded
by bare trees and mist. Steps
down, past winter vegetables
in the front garden. Through
the front door, a small
square room, crowded with
dark furniture. Guy quiet.
Panya smiling. A wood fire,
the smell of damp and a tin
of buttons.








No comments:

Post a Comment